This is not only a really tasty recipe, but it can be be cooked in one pot, on a single burner, and is ready in 35 minutes, making it perfect for camping, and a lovely warming comfort dish for this miserable weather that’s upon us at the moment.
This recipe serves four people.
- Pack of sausages (approx 500g)
- 1 onion or leek
- 420g tin of baked beans
- 410g tin of red kidney beans
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 red peppers (or substitute for any peppers, you prefer)
- Cut the sausages in half. Peel and slice the onion / leek finely
- Place both in a large, flameproof casserole dish or large frying pan. Cook gently for 10 minutes, turning at regular intervals, until sausages are browned, and the onion / leek is soft.
- Slice the peppers, and add to the hotpot, with the tomatoes, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the baked beans and drained kidney beans, and finish cooking for a further 5 – 10 minutes. Serve with mash, pasta, rice or preferred accompaniment.
As with most good recipes, you can vary this to suit your own tastes, and can also make a vegetarian version, with vegetarian or Quorn sausages, and add other vegetables to make it even more of a complete meal. Whatever tweaks you make, it’s a lovely warming recipe for a chilly evening on site.