One of those recipes that kind of has it all. Great warming comfort food, if camping in this, the cooler part of the season, dead easy to do on a typical double burner camping stove (or it can be adapted to cook in a slow cooker, if you have EHU) and it’s actually a Slimming world recipe, so it’s even kind to the waistline.
This recipe serves four people.
- 8 Slimming World frozen syn-free pork sausages (or substitute for your own favourite sausages, if preferred).
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 400g back bacon rashers, all visible fat removed, and chopped
- 2 orange peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 x 415g cans baked beans
- 6 tbsp tomato puree
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, to garnish
For the mash:
- 800g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 220g fat-free natural fromage frais
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- For the mash, boil the potatoes for 15 – 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash with the fromage frais until fairly smooth. Mix the mustard powder with 3 tbsp water and stir into the mash with some seasoning. Keep warm until needed.
- Meanwhile, preheat your grill to medium and cook the sausages according to the packet instructions.
- Spray a pan or casserole dish with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the bacon, peppers and onion and stir fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the bacon is lightly browned and the veg start to soften.
- Add the garlic, paprika and chilli and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the baked beans and tomato puree and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, slice each sausage into 3 pieces and add to the pan. Simmer gently for 6-8 minutes, then season. Divide the stew, mash and green beans between four plates. Garnish and serve.