Away camping over the festive period, and stuck with that excess of Christmas turkey? This is a quick, easy and healthy (294 calories per serving) recipe to make the most of those seasonal leftovers, using just the most basic of cooking facilities.
With just 5 minutes of preparation time, and a further 15 minutes to cook, this recipe couldn’t get much easier, and serves four people.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 green pepper, de seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 300g leftover turkey diced
- 300g leftover potato (either boiled or roast) diced
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- Small pack coriander, roughly chopped
- Rice or naan bread, to serve.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, over a fairly high heat. Cook the onion and pepper for 3 to 4 minutes until starting to soften, and brown slightly. Stir in the curry paste and garlic, then cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and 150ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down, stir in the turkey and potatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, then season and add the mango chutney. Scatter with coriander and serve with rice or nan.
Whether using Christmas leftovers on site, or at home, or, indeed, any time of the year, this is a cracking recipe, and you can always use chicken, if you prefer.
Original recipe from Good Food magazine, December 2013.