Another of our favourite recipes, this is not, exactly, a camping recipe, as such. It’s actually a Slimming World recipe, but it’s quick (less than 30 minutes) easy and can be cooked on a single burner (though a second one would also be handy for the rice, which the original recipe describes as; ‘optional’).
This dish is ideal for people who love Indian cooking, but don’t have the time or equipment, whilst camping to go for anything too complex. If you’re not so keen on spinach, you can simply use extra chopped tomatoes.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, peeled an finely chopped
- 2 tbsp madras curry powder (or curry powder of your choice)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 large chicken breast fillets (or 8 thigh fillets) cut into bite sized fillets
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- 200g chopped spinach
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp fat free natural yoghurt
- Fresh coriander sprigs to garnish (optional)
- Rice, to serve
- Spray a deep, lidded, non stick frying pan with low calories cooking spray and place over a high heat.
- Add the onion and stir fry for about 2 – 3 minutes, then stir in the curry powder and ground cinnamon and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken pieces and the tomatoes, stock and spinach, cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through. Season well and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the yoghurt, garnish with the coriander sprigs, and serve with boiled white rice.
The sauce in this recipe makes a great base for any type of curry. You can adjust the amount and type of curry powder, to taste and try with pork, fish, prawns or different vegetables.